Skip to main content

About Karli McClane

My photo
Karli McClane
In sharing some of her experiences and observations, Karli's goal is to help others who have had to endure abuse from psychopaths, sociopaths, personality disordered individuals (narcissistic, borderline, histrionic, antisocial), and other emotional vampires that thrive on inflicting harm and causing misery.

Beware The Gracious Narcissist: Life With My NMIL


Why did we move in with my Narcissistic Mother-In-Law?

When my husband and I returned to our home state, several years ago, the plan was to stay with his parents while he settled into a new job position. We both worked with the company, and the owners wanted him to relocate. He was also to have a minor surgery (with a sufficient recovery period), and we were to search for an apartment. It was my narcissistic mother-in-law (NMIL) who extended the invitation for us to stay with them during this time.

Upon our arrival, she designated one end of the house, with two spare rooms, for us to spread out in. (She later rewrote history by stating that she never said any such thing, but I specifically remember her telling us this, because it made me feel that she was giving us room to breathe, and maybe this wouldn't be so unpleasant after all.) For a brief period of time, she expressed concern over Tim's injury, even sharing her prescription pain meds and sleeping pills with him, and she appeared genuinely magnanimous to both of us in general. 

I want to point out that on several occasions, prior to our arrival, Tim mentioned to me that he thought his mom had Narcissistic Personality Disorder. He suspected that growing up under her dysfunctional parenting was a key reason he later succumbed to his ex-Borderline Personality Disorder (BPD). I'm ashamed to say that I neglected to take him seriously enough. On the surface, my NMIL seemed to mean well. Also, I thought it unlikely that the two of us could have so many disordered people in our lives. However, by the time we moved out of his parents' house, neither of us had any doubts as to how disordered she is. Her insidious cruelty and spitefulness know no bounds. 

Drama

Less than a month after we moved in with my NMIL, ex-BPD pulled an attention-seeking stunt. It was so dramatic that earned her a hospitalization. Therefore, someone needed to babysit her kids for several days. If she had done this at any time prior to our arrival, my husband wouldn't have been an option. We simply did not live close enough. Also, he wouldn't have been able to take a leave of absence from work. But there we were, and Granny Narc was eager to sink her mental claws into those impressionable young minds. Inevitably, she took full advantage of the situation to emotionally manipulate Tim. However, external factors, including the family court system, neutralized her attempts at controlling him. 

Ideally, Tim was supposed to hit the ground running, as far as work was concerned. The job required frequent travel, and he moved us back home, because he was being promoted to manage the region. The timing of this particular mess couldn't have been worse, and it cost him. The company we worked for was the absolute worst, and that's a story for another day, but they punished him for taking time off to deal with the unexpected family situation by giving him way too much time off. Surrounded by psychopaths, oh, what a time we had!

Aftermath

The whole predicament resolved in less than a week. BPD soon packed up her kids and moved several states away with them. If everything had happened even a week prior to our arrival back home, things could have gone differently for us. However, I'm a firm believer in everything happening for a reason. Also, the true natures of my NMIL and the owners/operators of the company we worked for would have come to light eventually. It wouldn't have mattered how things unfolded.

In retrospect, I believe the prescription pills my NMIL doled out were an initial attempt at keeping Tim compliant. They made him more receptive to her suggestions. The mock concern for his well-being was very brief (after a few weeks, she forgot all about his injury; she failed to even inquire as to whether he was still going forward with his surgery or physical therapy), and it quickly became apparent that she wanted to control every aspect of our lives. What we ate, how we spent our free time, where we bought gas, everything.

Photo Credit: Pixabay

Protected by Copyscape

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Narcissistic Mother-in-Law Has No Respect for Personal Boundaries

Blatant Disregard For Personal Boundaries In a previous post, I talked about giving some insight into what it was like living with my narcissistic mother-in-law during the time my husband and I had to do so out of necessity. The following is an example taken from one of my personal journal entries from about five years ago. We had been there for several months, so we were noticing patterns in her cycle of abuse, and we were constantly on edge. This happened on a day when my husband (then-fiance), Tim, was working and I was off. I was in our room, sitting cross-legged on the bed with my laptop. I'm an extremely introverted person; my personal space is important to me, and since the in-laws were also at home, I kept the door to my room closed. They (my NMIL and her flying monkey) were in a bedroom adjacent to mine where they had their computer set up. I knew they were both in there, because I could hear both of their voices, and I heard Maude lower hers in a conspiratorial tone. Sho

Same Blog, New URL

  New Blog Recently, I was considering deleting my blog, but ultimately I decided to switch over from WordPress to a free account instead. I felt like I wasn't reaching anyone; I wasn't getting much traffic, and it felt like I was writing just for myself which is something I can do in a private journal. So when the time came to renew my fees or cancel my blog, I was about to delete the whole thing. Then, I got an email from someone thanking me and encouraging me to keep writing. From time to time I get those, and it is nice to know that that my information was helpful to someone. It's why I started blogging. Abused By A Narcissist I started my original blog because, prior to coming to the realization that I was being psychologically abused by a narcissist , I felt like I was losing my mind, that no one understood, even when I tried to explain. It's like I was trapped with no way to express what I had to deal with on a day to day basis. I couldn’t talk to anyone about it

4 Humorous Solutions For Protecting Society From Psychopaths

Disordered and Deceitful Psychopaths There is no cure for psychopathy/sociopathy/cluster B personality disorders. There is no way to teach a psychopath to have compassion and empathy. Worse, being a sociopath isn't even a crime, in and of itself. There are plenty of personality disordered, high conflict people running around loose in our culture, and they destroy people's lives. Not all of them kill, not all of them are physically abusive, and not all of them commit such blatant crimes that they wind up in prison, but they all use and abuse others for their own personal gain. Given that knowledge, is there any way we could co-exist with psychopaths peacefully? Could they be integrated into society in such a way that they could only be helpful? Here are a few ideas for how to neutralize them, in order to protect the innocent.  Option 1 - Banishment Exile psychopaths. Give them their own remote territory to reside on, but make sure they have no way to leave this pla