Skip to main content

About Karli McClane

My photo
Karli McClane
In sharing some of her experiences and observations, Karli's goal is to help others who have had to endure abuse from psychopaths, sociopaths, personality disordered individuals (narcissistic, borderline, histrionic, antisocial), and other emotional vampires that thrive on inflicting harm and causing misery.

Welcome To My Dysfunctional Family


New Beginnings

As we start the new year, I was reflecting on my goals for last year, and that got me thinking about how much can happen in a year. A few years ago, my husband and I started a tradition of writing down Happy Thoughts throughout the year and stuffing them into a jar, then we read them to each other during the first few days of the new year. We've been doing that this week, and I'm realizing how much I have to be grateful for, and I don't want to take anything for granted.

I grew up in a dysfunctional family, so it astonishes me that it took me as long as it did to recognize it when I found myself entrapped in it in my adult life. What's more puzzling is that, even after my own experience, I didn't see my best friend's (now my husband) Stockholm Syndrome for what it was. In my defense, I was still licking my wounds and trying to make sense of what I had been through. I was also blinded by optimism and a renewed sense of hope.

So many people feel obligated to maintain unhealthy relationships because of a little shared DNA, and I'll never completely understand that. I left my abuser, and I had no trouble disengaging from my narcissistic father. (I came to see both of them for what they were at roughly the same time.) DNA? That's superficial. Toxic is toxic, and I refuse to feel obligated to enable a narcissist or to unduly stress myself out.

No Contact

As of this writing, I haven't spoken to my father in almost ten years (same for the narcopath I lived with; it was a clean break, no further communication), and it hasn't been difficult at all. My husband went no-contact with his narcissistic mother a few years ago, and he doesn't miss her either. I realize not everyone has an epiphany moment, or their toxic relative (or lover) does something so unforgivable to them, that trying to salvage the relationship is no longer an option, but I want to tell you that not having to deal with toxicity in your personal life on a regular basis is a much more peaceful way to exist.

Whether it's a lover, a parent, sibling, or even a child, no one should have to endure emotional, psychological, or physical abuse out of a sense of duty or obligation to a dysfunctional family. It may be difficult, but you can remove the negativity from your life. You are good enough, and your needs are just as important as anyone else's. You can have hope and aspirations. You can live up to your full potential.

Photo Credit: Needpix

Protected by Copyscape

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Narcissistic Mother-in-Law Has No Respect for Personal Boundaries

Blatant Disregard For Personal Boundaries In a previous post, I talked about giving some insight into what it was like living with my narcissistic mother-in-law during the time my husband and I had to do so out of necessity. The following is an example taken from one of my personal journal entries from about five years ago. We had been there for several months, so we were noticing patterns in her cycle of abuse, and we were constantly on edge. This happened on a day when my husband (then-fiance), Tim, was working and I was off. I was in our room, sitting cross-legged on the bed with my laptop. I'm an extremely introverted person; my personal space is important to me, and since the in-laws were also at home, I kept the door to my room closed. They (my NMIL and her flying monkey) were in a bedroom adjacent to mine where they had their computer set up. I knew they were both in there, because I could hear both of their voices, and I heard Maude lower hers in a conspiratorial tone. Sho

Same Blog, New URL

  New Blog Recently, I was considering deleting my blog, but ultimately I decided to switch over from WordPress to a free account instead. I felt like I wasn't reaching anyone; I wasn't getting much traffic, and it felt like I was writing just for myself which is something I can do in a private journal. So when the time came to renew my fees or cancel my blog, I was about to delete the whole thing. Then, I got an email from someone thanking me and encouraging me to keep writing. From time to time I get those, and it is nice to know that that my information was helpful to someone. It's why I started blogging. Abused By A Narcissist I started my original blog because, prior to coming to the realization that I was being psychologically abused by a narcissist , I felt like I was losing my mind, that no one understood, even when I tried to explain. It's like I was trapped with no way to express what I had to deal with on a day to day basis. I couldn’t talk to anyone about it

4 Humorous Solutions For Protecting Society From Psychopaths

Disordered and Deceitful Psychopaths There is no cure for psychopathy/sociopathy/cluster B personality disorders. There is no way to teach a psychopath to have compassion and empathy. Worse, being a sociopath isn't even a crime, in and of itself. There are plenty of personality disordered, high conflict people running around loose in our culture, and they destroy people's lives. Not all of them kill, not all of them are physically abusive, and not all of them commit such blatant crimes that they wind up in prison, but they all use and abuse others for their own personal gain. Given that knowledge, is there any way we could co-exist with psychopaths peacefully? Could they be integrated into society in such a way that they could only be helpful? Here are a few ideas for how to neutralize them, in order to protect the innocent.  Option 1 - Banishment Exile psychopaths. Give them their own remote territory to reside on, but make sure they have no way to leave this pla